Coventry's largest city park opened in July 1921 as Coventry's tribute to the soldiers from the city that lost their lives during the First World War (1914-1918). Previously the park was little more than a large grassed area that once formed Styvechale common which was part farmland and part woodland. The land was owned by the Lords of Styvechale Manor (the Gregory-Hood family), who sold it to the Council to enable the park to be created. Over the next 20 years various facilities were developed including the War Memorial, which was erected in 1927, and the landscaped gardens and sports areas, which were created in the late 1920's and 1930's. During this period the park became the location for the Coventry Carnival Gala Day, which still survives today as the Godiva Festival. The Pavilions were erected at the same time as the gardens were laid out. They have recently been refurbished with the addition of a café. During the Second World War, barrage balloons and anti-aircraft guns were sited in the park and today you can still see the large concrete blocks at the coat of arms bridge area of the park where they were positioned. Approximately 48.5 hectares in size, the park consists of two distinct areas, the formal garden with the War Memorial and the sports facilities areas with playing fields, golf course, Splash 'n' Play Park and play areas.
Opening Hours: Park - Normally dawn to dusk. Tennis and bowls – Easter till the end of September only. Pitch and putt – open all year round.